In April 1935, thirty five women gathered in the parlors of the Gilcher Hotel (now The Hub) to create a garden club that would enhance and beautify their community of Danville. It has come a long way in 81 plus years and now is affiliated with the Garden Club of Kentucky and the National Garden Clubs, Inc. which has a nationwide membership of 200,000 members.
The newly formed garden club elected Mrs. Dena Shelby Diehl as President and the members Paid $1.00 in dues. Standing committees were Programs, Beautification, Exhibits, Exchange. At the publication of the first yearbook, the membership was 47.
In the late 30’s and early 40’s city beautification involved working with the city government. The war years involved programs on Victory Gardens, scrap metal drives, and a Garden Center at the public library. In later years projects also involved a Medicinal Herb Garden for the restored McDowell House and support for the Central Kentucky Wildlife refuge.
Flower Shows & Garden tours have been a highlight of club activities for many years. The Garden Club of Danville has a tradition of making a positive difference in our community. Projects at Weisiger Park, Constitution Park, McDowell House, Commonwealth Cancer Center, and many others demonstrate that tradition.
New members are welcome to join us on our journey.